Pomegranate molasses adds a delicious tang. It is available in Middle Eastern stores and now in many supermarkets.
Makes 8 servings
1. Trim away any excess fat from lamb but leave some on for extra flavour.
2. Combine pomegranate molasses with olive oil, garlic, orange peel, pepper, salt, cumin, cardamom and ginger. Rub into lamb on all sides and marinate from one hour up to overnight in the refrigerator.
3. Pat lamb dry and place on a hot barbecue 3 to 5 minutes per side, or brown in a large heavy skillet on high heat a few minutes per side.
4. Place lamb in a roasting pan lined with parchment paper and continue cooking in a preheated 375F oven for 15 to 20 minutes depending on the thickness or until a meat thermometer registers 140F for medium rare.
5. Let lamb rest 5 to 10 minutes before carving. Serve with any juices spooned on top and sprinkle with pomegranate seeds and chopped mint.