Karen Gilman, Danoâ€™s wife and the bakerÂ at Dano's Heuriger, made this gorgeous cake for me. She got the recipe from Mitchell Davis in New York and he got the recipe from Alice Medrich's book "Bittersweet". We are all big fans of Alice's recipes - I recommend her books highly.Â I didn't have any white pepper when I made this so I left it out and it was still delicious. Next time I will use it â€“ it adds a subtle spice taste but isnâ€™t at all â€˜hotâ€™.
Makes 16 servings
1. Combine cocoa and sugar. Whisk in water until smooth. Reserve.
2. In another bowl combine flour with baking powder, salt and pepper. Stir well. Reserve.
3. In a mixer beat oil with sugar until combined. Mixture will be granular. Add vanilla. Beat in eggs one at a time. Mixture will become smoother.
4. Add one third of the flour and mix just until blended.Â Mix in one half of the milk. Add another third of flour and mix. then mix in remaining milk. Add remaining flour.
5. Pour three cups of the batter into a bowl and combine with chocolate mixture.
6. Pour one third of the white batter into a buttered 10" tube pan. Pour 1/3 of the chocolate batter on top and repeat layers. You do not have to swirl as it does it itself.
7. Bake in a preheated 350F oven for 60 to 70 minutes or until a meat thermometer registers 185F or until a cake tester comes out dry.
8. Cool on a rack for 15 minutes before removing from pan.