FLO BRAKER'S PASSOVER BANANA CHIFFON CAKE
On a trip to San Francisco, baking expert Flo Braker gave me this recipe from her new book "Baking for all Occasions" (Chronicle $45.50). Serve plain, with whipped cream or your favourite chocolate glaze. (It freezes well).
Makes 12 to 14 servings
- 1 cup (250mL) plus 2 tbsp (25mL) matzah cake meal
- 1/4 cup (50mL) plus 2 tbsp (25mL) potato starch
- 1 1/2 cups (375mL) sugar
- 1/2 tsp (2mL) salt
- 3/4 cup (175mL) mashed ripe bananas (1 large or 2 small)
- 6 eggs, separated
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup (50mL) plus 2 tbsp (25mL) vegetable oil
- 2 tsp (10mL) finely grated lemon peel
- 1 tsp (5mL) pure vanilla extract
- Sift together into a large bowl the cake meal, potato starch, half the sugar (3/4 cup/175mL) and salt. Make a well in the centre. Combine bananas with egg yolks, whole egg, oil, lemon peel, and vanilla. Add to well in the dry ingredients. Stir together to make a very thick batter.
- Beat egg whites on medium low until soft peaks form. Increase speed and gradually add remaining 3/4 cup (175mL) sugar. Beat until stiff and glossy. Stir about 1/3 of the egg whites into the banana batter and then fold everything together.
- Spoon batter into an ungreased 10" (26cm) tube pan (angel food cake pan) spreading evenly. Bake in a preheated 325F (160C) oven for 55 to 60 minutes until top springs back and a toothpick comes out clean. Invert onto a rack. Cool completely about 2 hours.
- To remove cake gently tap bottom all over or run a knife around the sides of pan and gently remove.Â Â