FLORIDA STYLE CUBAN SANDWICH
I loved this sandwich that I tried when I was teaching at The Ocean Reef Club in Key Largo. It's like a grilled cheese on steroids!
Makes 4 sandwiches
- 4 submarine-sandwich-type buns or soft crust baguette
- 2 tbsp grainy mustard
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 3/4 lb thinly sliced roast pork or turkey breast
- 3/4 lb thinly sliced baked ham
- 2 large dill pickles, thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1/2 lb Swiss cheese, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp butter, melted
- mojo sauce:
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp orange juice
- 1 clove garlic, minced or grated
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp finely chopped cilantro
- 1/2 tsp Tabasco sauce or more to taste
- Cut rolls or bread in half lengthwise. Combine mustard with mayonnaise and brush over cut surfaces.
- Layer pork, ham, pickles and cheese on bottom piece of bread. Top with remaining bread. Press firmly. Brush both sides with butter.
- ¬†Grill in a panini maker until sandwich, pressing down firmly, is browned and cheese has melted. (Or use a grill pan or heavy skillet, pressing down firmly until browned on both sides and cheese has melted.)
- ¬†For sauce combine lemon and orange juice in a bowl. Whisk in garlic, cumin, salt, vegetable oil and cilantro. Taste adjust seasoning if necessary. Serve with sandwiches for dipping.