When garlic cooks it becomes soft, sweet and gentle. So don't be afraid of this even though the recipe calls for lots of garlic. If you love roasted garlic mashed potatoes, you will love this too.
Makes 6 servings
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil or butter
- 4 heads garlic
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 1/2 lbs Yukon gold potatoes (or other baking potatoes), peeled and diced
- 3 cups chicken stock, vegetable stock or water or more
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp whipping cream
- Heat oil in a large saucepan. Add garlic and onion, cover and cook gently on low heat until tender and lightly browned - about 15 minutes. Add potatoes and stock, turn up heat and bring to a boil. Cook until potatoes are tender - about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Puree soup. If it is too thick, add some additional liquid. Adjust seasoning if necessary. Drizzle each serving with about
1 tsp whipping cream.