GINGERBREAD PEAR COBBLER
You can use apples instead of pears. Scoop ice cream ahead of time and store in the freezer to save time when serving.
Makes 8 servings
- 8 ripe pears, peeled, cored and sliced (about 8 cups)
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp each of ground cinnamon and ginger
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp molasses
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp each of baking soda, ground ginger and ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/4 tsp each of salt, ground allspice and ground nutmeg
- 2 tbsp coarse sugar
- 8 scoops vanilla or caramel ice cream
- Combine pears with sugar, flour, cinnamon and ginger. Spoon in the bottom of a buttered 9"x13" baking dish.
- For the topping, cream butter and sugar until light. Beat in egg and molasses. Combine or sift flour with baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, cream of tartar, salt, allspice and nutmeg. Add dry ingredients in three additions alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with dry mixture.
- Spoon batter on top of pears, leaving a space around the edge so that fruit juices can bubble up.¬†Sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- Place cake pan on a baking sheet in case fruit bubbles over and bake in a preheated 350F oven until topping is cooked through and browned about 40 to 45 minutes or until pears are very tender and topping is cooked through when a cake tester comes out dry.