GREEN CRUNCH SALAD
This salad, from my friend Elizabeth Pizzinato, is so refreshing and delicious especially with a heavier style winter meal.
- 1 head Boston lettuce, washed and torn into bite-sized pieces
- 1 bulb fennel, trimmed, cored and sliced
- 3 celery stalks, sliced
- 1 Granny Smith apple
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 cup microgreens
- 2 tbsp Champagne vinegar (or apple cider vinegar)
- 2 tbsp Meyer or regular lemon juice
- grated zest of one Meyer or regular lemon
- 1 tbsp each of honey and grainy mustard
- 1/2 tsp salt
- lots of fresh ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- For dressing, whisk vinegar with lemon juice, peel, honey mustard, salt and pepper. Slowly whisk in oil until combined. Reserve.
- In a large bowl combine lettuce, fennel and celery. Just before serving, halve, core and dice or slice the apple and avocado and toss with some of the dressing to help prevent discoloration.¬†Add to lettuce.¬†Top with microgreens.
- Toss salad ingredients with dressing. Adjust seasoning to taste and serve.