GREEN TEA SHORTBREAD
The green tea turns the cookies an elegant green and the sparkle sugar makes them glitter. For more green tea flavour, use up to 2 tbsp powdered green tea â€“ but the colour will turn a bit darker green.
Makes 36 to 40 cookies
- 1 cup butter
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp powdered green tea (matcha)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup coarse sparkling sugar - optional
- Cream butter with granulated sugar until light.
- Combine flour, green tea powder and salt in a bowl and add to butter mixture. Mix only until combined. Divide into two parts, flatten slightly, wrap and refrigerate at least one hour.
- Roll out each piece of dough, on a floured surface, 1/4" thick. Cut out with your favourite cookie cutter. Place on parchment paper lined baking sheets. Sprinkle with sparkle sugar and press in slightly.Â Bake 12 to 15 minutes in a preheated 325F oven. Do not let cookies brown. Cool on racks.