GRILLED LEG OF LAMB WITH LEMON AND OREGANO
This Greek inspired leg of lamb is a great way to start off the barbecue season.
Makes 8 servings
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh oregano
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 tsp hot red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 butterflied leg of lamb, about 3 lbs
- 1 lemon, thinly sliced
- sprigs of fresh oregano or parsley
- Combine garlic, lemon juice, olive oil, oregano, thyme, hot pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Add lamb to marinade and lemon slices. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator an hour or up to overnight.
- Remove lamb from marinade and season with more salt and pepper.
- Grill lamb (and lemon slices) about 10 minutes per side (depending on thickness of meat) until a meat thermometer registers 140F for medium rare when inserted into the thickest part of the meat. Let lamb rest 10 minutes before carving. Alternatively grill lamb 5 minutes per side, place on a baking sheet and finish cooking in a preheated 400F oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 140F.