Crushed kadaifi (shredded phyllo pastry available at any Middle Eastern store) and pomegranate molasses turns everyday schnitzel into something exciting. This is from one of my favourite new cookbooks, "Purple Citrus and Sweet Perfume" by Silvena Rowe which focuses on the exotic flavours of Eastern Mediterranean food.
Makes 4 servings
1. Spread kadaifi on a baking sheet and allow to dry an hour or two. Crush slightly. Place flour in a shallow dish and beat eggs lightly in another shallow dish.
2. Flatten chicken pieces as thin as possible between sheets of parchment paper or heavy plastic wrap.
3. Flour chicken pieces lightly and shake off excess. Dip into egg. Finally press into kadaifi to coat well. Refrigerate until ready to cook.
4. Heat oil and butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook chicken, in batches, 3 to 4 minutes per side until browned and crisp. Drain on paper towels.
5. Drizzle with pomegranate molasses.