KARLA'S ALMOND CRACK
Karla Vermeulem is a pyschology professor who cooks and bakes for her own mental health therapy. I was lucky enough to taste Karlaâ€™s addictive Almond Crack over the holidays and I got addicted. Dangerous!
Makes about 30 pieces
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 2 cups slivered almonds (untoasted)
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp Maldon salt (or more to taste)
- Melt butter over medium heat in a heavy saucepan. Add almonds and stir until coated with butter. Add brown sugar and stir until combined.
- Cook, uncovered, over medium low heat, stirring frequently, until sugar and butter liquify together - 20 to 30 minutes. It may seem like it will never come together but keep stirring the best you can until it forms a blob. Standing back, add vanilla and salt and stir in.
- Quickly pour the mixture onto a foil lined 9"x13" (approx) baking sheet and using two spoons to spread it into a thin layer.
- Cool completely. Break into chunks. If it seems to have excess butter on the bottom place it on paper towels.