KEY LIME CAKE
Bring a little Florida feeling to our cold winter with this cake. Although key limes have a gentle lime flavour that is unique, this cake tastes great even made with regular limes. And it's good in summer too.
Makes 12 servings
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract or vanilla paste
- 2 tbsp grated lime peel
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1 cup unflavoured yogurt
- lime syrup:
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 cups mixed berries or lime slices
- sifted icing sugar
- Cream butter with sugar until light. Beat in eggs, one at a time and then vanilla and lime peel.
- In a bowl sift flour with baking powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk to mix well.
- Add flour to butter/egg mixture alternately with yogurt, beginning and ending with flour.¬†Spoon into a small bundt pan or 9"x5" loaf pan lined with parchment paper. Bake in a preheated 350F oven for 40 to 50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean or a meat thermometer registers 185F.
- For the syrup bring lime juice and sugar to a boil in a saucepan. Cook gently 5 minutes.
- When cake comes out of the oven poke holes in the top with a thin skewer or cake tester and slowly drizzle syrup on top. Allow to soak in.
- Garnish with berries (or lime slices) and sprinkle icing sugar over top.