LEMON DELICIOUS PUDDING CAKE
Lemon pudding cake is an old fashioned dessert that is really delicious. You end up with lemon pudding on the bottom and lemon cake on top. Serve upside down with a raspberry sauce.
Raspberry Sauce: A quick raspberry sauce can be made by melting raspberry sorbet or, puree fresh or frozen unsweetened raspberries in a food mill or in a food processor (then through a strainer if you want to remove seeds). Add icing sugar or sugar syrup or raspberry jam to sweeten.
Makes 8 servings
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3/4 cup sugar - divided
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 tbsp grated lemon peel
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350F. Butter an 8"x8" baking dish.
- In medium bowl beat butter with 1/2 cup sugar until light. Beat in egg yolks and lemon peel.
- Whisk in flour and stir until smooth. Whisk in milk and lemon juice.
- In a large mixing bowl beat egg whites until light. Add remaining 1/4 cup sugar gradually. Continue beating until egg whites are stiff and glossy. Stir about 1/4 of the egg whites into the lemon mixture and then fold the lemon mixture into the remaining egg whites.
- Pour mixture into buttered pan.Â Set pan into a larger dish (like a roasting pan) and fill with hot water to come halfway up the sides of the cake.Â Bake 40 to 45 minutes or until top is lightly browned and feels firm when gently pressed in the centre. Check every 15 minutes and cover loosely with aluminum foil if top is browning too much.