LEMON MOUSSE WITH WHITE CHOCOLATE AND SHORTBREAD
This was one of the most popular desserts on our culinary tour of Israel. Use your favourite cookies.
Makes 8 servings
- 6 oz cookies (preferably homemade shortbread, sugar cookies, ladyfingers etc)
- 2 tbsp butter, melted
- 3 gelatin sheets or 1/2 envelope powdered gelatin
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 4 oz white chocolate (preferably Valrhona)
- 1 1/2 cups whipping cream
- 1/4 cup pistachio nuts, chopped, optional
- Chop cookies coarsely and toss with butter. Spread over a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake in a preheated 400F oven 8 to 15 minutes until lightly browned. Cool.
- Place gelatin sheets in a bowl of cold water until softened.
- Beat egg yolks with sugar until light and lemony. Beat in lemon juice and peel. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly until mixture thickens. Strain into a bowl.
- Lift gelatin out of the water and squeeze out excess. Stir into hot lemon mixture. Stir in white chocolate until smooth. Cool until mixture comes to room temperature and starts to thicken.
- Beat cream until light. Fold into lemon mixture.
6. Place some of the cookies into the bottom of eight wine glasses. Pipe or spoon lemon mousse into the glasses. Top with remaining crumbs, pistachios or a combination.