LES FOUGERES' CAULIFLOWER SOUP WITH CHEDDAR, BACON AND MAPLE PECANS
Les Fougeres, in Chelsea, Quebec, just 15 minutes from Ottawa, is a favourite destination of Ottawa's foodies. They were kind enough to share this amazing soup recipe with me. The maple pecans make great holiday gifts.
Makes 4 to 6 servings
- 1/4 cup (50mL) butter
- 2 tbsp (25mL) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 large cauliflower (about 3 lbs/750g), cut into chunks
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 potato, chopped
- 3 cups (750mL) chicken stock or more
- 1 tsp (5mL) fresh thyme
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup (250mL) grated aged Cheddar
- 8 oz (250g) bacon, cut into sticks and cooked until crisp
- 1/2 cup (125mL) chopped maple pecans (see below)
- 2 tbsp (25mL) chopped fresh parsley
- Heat butter and olive oil in a large deep saucepan. Add onion, cauliflower and garlic. Cook gently, covered, 15 to 20 minutes until caramelized, checking every 5 minutes.
- Add potatoes and thyme and enough stock to just cover vegetables. Simmer until very tender 15 to 20 minutes.
- Puree. Return to heat and add additional stock to make a medium thick soup. Season to taste.
- Garnish with cheese, bacon, pecans and parsley.
- For maple pecans, toss 1 cup (250mL) pecans with 1/4 cup (50mL) maple syrup. Spread on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake in a preheated 325F (160C) oven approximately 15 minutes, tossing every 5 minutes, until candied.
Sprinkle with 1/2 tsp (2mL) Maldon salt.