MARK McEWANS MEATLOAF
This meatloaf, from Mark McEwan's new cookbook Great Food At Home, is just delicious. At his store, McEwan's, they make it into a sandwich with extra bbq sauce, caramelized onions and Cheddar cheese.
Makes 10 to 12 servings
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 Spanish onion, diced
- 1 cup barbecue sauce - divided
- 1 1/2 lbs ground veal
- 1 1/2 lbs lean ground beef
- 3 tbsp minced Italian parsley
- 1 1/2 tbsp minced chives
- 1 tbsp minced fresh thyme
- 3 tbsp chili sauce (eg Heinz)
- 1 tbsp Keen's dry mustard
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a large skillet. Add diced onions. Cook until caramelized. Cool.
- Reserve 1/4 cup barbecue sauce for the topping. Place remaining 3/4 cup sauce, ground veal, ground beef, parsley, chives, thyme, chili sauce, mustard, breadcrumbs, eggs, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add diced caramelized onions and combine thoroughly.
- Transfer mixture to 2 loaf pans or, a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and shape meat into a loaf with slightly tapered ends sort of like a rye bread. Make a bit of a ridge (or not) down the length of the meatloaf. Fill with the reserved 1/4 cup barbecue sauce. Bake in a preheated 350F oven about one hour or until a meat thermometer reaches 165F when inserted into the centre. Let rest at least 30 minutes before slicing. It is also great cold.