MIDDLE EASTERN SWEET POTATO LATKES
Sweet and slightly spicy these are sure to have everyone talking about your Hanukkah party. Omit the chiles, cumin and cilantro if you want these plain. Top with guacamole or sour cream and smoked salmon if you want to make them fancy.
Makes 20 pancakes
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp (5mL) pureed chipotle chile or Tabasco Chipotle sauce or 1 tsp (5mL) finely chopped jalapeno chile - optional
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp (25mL) chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/3 cup (75mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp (5mL) kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp (2mL) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2mL) ground cumin
- 1 lb (500g) sweet potatoes, peeled and grated
- 3 tbsp (45mL) vegetable oil
- Beat eggs in a large bowl with chipotles, green onions and cilantro. In another bowl stir together flour, salt, baking powder and cumin.
- Combine dry ingredients with wet ingredients and stir in sweet potatoes.
- Heat oil in a large heavy skillet. Drop batter by tablespoons and flatten well with the back of the spoon. Cook a minute or two on each side until browned and crispy. Add more oil in between batches if necessary. Drain on paper towels.