PUMPKIN DATE QUICKBREAD
When pumpkin seeds are used in recipes, I buy them hulled (at health food stores or most supermarkets). But for snacks, I roast the unhulled ones from a pumpkin.
Makes 12 servings
- 2 cups all-purpose flour or whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup wheat bran
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground nutmeg
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp molasses
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup pureed cooked pumpkin or squash (or canned unsweetened pumpkin)
- 1/2 cup buttermilk or yogurt
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 3/4 cup pumpkin seeds - divided
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- In a large bowl, stir or sift together flour, bran, baking powder, baking soda, salt and nutmeg.
- With a whisk, mixer or in a food processor combine eggs with brown sugar, molasses, oil, pumpkin puree and buttermilk.
- Stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients until just mixed. Add dates and 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds.
- Transfer batter to a 6 cup loaf pan buttered and lined with parchment paper. Sprinkle top with remaining pumpkin seeds. Bake in a preheated 375F oven for 45 to 55 minutes or until a tester comes out clean or until a meat thermometer reaches 185F.