PUMPKIN PANCAKES WITH MAPLE SYRUP
Make¬†these delicious treats¬†with fresh pumpkin puree (made from small sugar or pie pumpkins), canned pumpkin puree, pureed squash, or mashed sweet potatoes. Serve with maple syrup.
Makes about 18 pancakes
- 1 cup (250mL) cooked pureed pumpkin or unseasoned canned pumpkin.
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup (50mL) brown sugar
- 1 1/4 cups (300mL) buttermilk or plain yogurt
- 1/2 tsp (2mL) vanilla
- 2 tbsp (25mL) vegetable oil or melted butter
- 1 1/2 cups (375mL) whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp (10mL) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2mL) baking soda
- 1/2 tsp (2mL) losher salt
- 1/2 tsp (2mL) cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp (1mL) each of allspice and freshly grated nutmeg
- In a large bowl whisk pumpkin puree with eggs, brown sugar, buttermilk, vanilla and melted butter.
- In another bowl combine flour with baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices. Add flour mixture to wet ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Brush a heavy skillet with butter and heat. Using 2 tbsp/25mL batter per pancake, make pancakes in batches cooking 2 minutes on the first side and 1 minute on the second side or until cooked through. Serve with maple syrup.