ROASTED SALMON WITH COUSCOUS SALSA
The idea for this salmon came from a private lunch hosted by the S. Pellegrino Almost Famous Chef Competition at Antica, the Antinori winery in Napa. You can grill the salmon first for 10 minutes, top with couscous mixture and finish in preheated 400F oven for 10 minutes or until just cooked.
Makes 4 to 6 serving
- 2 lb (1kg) salmon fillet
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- Couscous salsa:
- 1/2 cup instant couscous
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 6 shallots, chopped
- 1 plum tomato, halved, seeded and diced
- 2 tbsp chopped pitted black olives
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tsp grated lemon peel
- salt and pepper to taste
- For the couscous salsa, place couscous in a baking dish. Combine boiling water with salt and 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil. Pour over couscous. Cover tightly with foil and allow to sit for 10 minutes.
- Heat remaining olive oil and cook shallots until tender. Add olives, tomato, parsley and lemon peel. Fluff couscous and stir in shallot mixture. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Place salmon on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and thyme. Roast in a preheated 400F oven for 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle couscous mixture over partially cooked salmon. Return to oven for 10 minutes or until salmon is just cooked through and topping is slightly crunchy.