RODGRODE MED FLODE (RED FRUIT PUDDING)
There are many versions of this popular Danish dessert but this one, based on one at Meyerâ€™s Deli in Copenhagen, was my favourite. I loved it so much because some of the berries were pureed while some were in large pieces.
Makes 8 servingsÂ Â
- 4 cups strawberries, cleaned and quartered
- 2 cups other red berries or fruit (rhubarb, red or purple plums etc), cut into chunks
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 cups strawberries, cleaned and quartered
- 2 tbsp potato starch or cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 2 cups raspberries
- 1 cup whipping cream
- Place the 4 cups strawberries and 2 cups red fruits in a large bowl and mix in sugar and 3/4 cup water. Allow mixture to stand at room temperature for 2 hours or until a lot of the juices come out of the fruit.
- Transfer berries and juices to a saucepan and bring to a boil. Simmer gently 10Â minutes, skimming off any white froth on the surface.Â Puree and strain if necessary (if you do not like the seeds) (or use a food mill that strains and purees at the same time).Â Return puree to saucepan.
- Add remaining 2 cups strawberries and cook 3 minutes. Reduce heat. Stir potato starch into cold water and add as much as you like to the saucepan so that the pudding will be the thickness you want. Add raspberries and remove from heat. Cool.
- Serve with cream drizzled on top.