ROOT VEGETABLE BORSCHT
After tasting a root vegetable borscht at Dano's Heuriger I resurrected this delicious root vegetable soup that I now call borscht. I also added the chopped beet stalks and greens when I added the beets.
Makes 6 to 8 servings
- 3 beets (about 1 1/2 lbs)
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 parsnips, diced
- 1/2 lb rutabaga, peeled and diced
- 6 cups water or vegetable stock
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup sour cream or thick yogurt
- 2 tbsp chopped chives or fresh dill
- Wrap whole, unpeeled beets in a single layer in foil and roast in a preheated 400F oven for 1 to 1 1/2 hours until tender. Cool, rub off skins and dice.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan and add onions and garlic. Cook, without browning until tender - about 5 minutes. Add carrots, parsnips and rutabaga. Cook about 3 minutes.
- Add water and some salt and pepper.Â Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer gently 15 minutes.
- Add cooked beets and cook 10 minutes longer. Season to taste.
- Garnish each bowl of soup with a spoonful of sour cream or yogurt and a sprinkling of chives or dill.