SALAD NICOISE WITH ROASTED CARROTS
I have started serving my Salad Nicoise vegetarian style and grilling a tuna steak (or sirloin steak) to serve on the side. Then guests can help them selves. That way everyone is happy and it still looks gorgeous.
I marinate the tuna steak (or sirloin) (about 1 1/2 lbs/750g and 1"/ 2.5cm) thick in 3 tbsp/45mL extra virgin olive oil, 1 tbsp/15mL each of salt and fresh thyme leaves and 1/2 tsp/2mL pepper. Grill 2 minutes per side (5 minutes per side for the sirloin for rare) exactly on a very hot grill. Cool and slice thinly. (It should be rare.)
For this salad we used the freshest beans from Dely's garden and Cookstown Greens heirloom colourful carrots. Serve on a hand made Don Stinson wooden platter (from Tamworth, Ontario) and it will look even more amazing.
Makes 8 servings
- 1/3 cup (75mL) extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp (25mL) chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tbsp (15mL) kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp (2mL) freshly ground black pepper
- 2 lbs (1kg) fingerling potatoes, cleaned and halved
- 2 cups (500mL) cherry or grape tomatoes
- 2 lbs (1kg) baby carrots, halved lengthwise
- 1 lb (500g) green beans, trimmed
- 10 cups (2.5L) mixed greens
- 6 hard cooked eggs
- 1/2 cup (125mL) pitted black Nicoise olives
- 2 tbsp (25mL) each of good balsamic vinegar and sherry vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp (25mL) chopped fresh tarragon or basil
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- In a small bowl combine olive oil with thyme, salt and pepper. Toss one third with potatoes and transfer to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.Â Roast potatoes in a 400F/200C oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until tender. Toss another third of the marinade with cherry tomatoes and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment. Roast for 25 minutes. Toss remaining third with carrots. Spread in a single layer on baking sheet lined with parchment and roast 25 to 30 minutes until tender and browned.
- Cook green beans 4 to 5 minutes in boiling water, refresh in ice water and pat dry.
- For the dressing whisk vinegars with garlic, salt and pepper and whisk in oil.
- Arrange greens on a large platter.Â Arrange potatoes in the center and tomatoes and green beans around the potatoes. Place carrots on top. Cut the eggs into quarters, arrange around the sides and sprinkle with olives. Drizzle with dressing.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.