In Japan, this is called "chirashi sushi". It is the traditional way sushi is served at home as it is much less complicated than making rolls or shaping rice. Just toss all the ingredients together and enjoy. Instead of crab use grilled shrimp or salmon or tofu for a vegetarian version.
Makes 6 servings
- 1 1/2 cups sushi rice (short grain Japanese rice)
- 1 3/4 cup cold water
- 1/4 cup seasoned rice vinegar or more to taste
- 1/2 lb asparagus, trimmed and grilled, diced
- 8 oz cooked crabmeat, well drained
- 1/2 cup frozen baby peas or edamame
- 1/2 English cucumber, halved lengthwise, seeded and diced (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 tbsp chopped pickled sushi ginger
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh chives
- 1 sheet toasted nori, cut into thin strips
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds, toasted
- Place rice in a sieve and rinse with cold water until water runs clear. Drain well. Place rice in a medium sized saucepan and add the cold water. Cover and bring to a boil.¬†Boil on medium high for one minute. Reduce heat to low and cook 10 minutes. Remove from heat and allow rice to rest, covered, for 10 minutes longer.¬†Spoon rice gently into a large serving bowl.
- Sprinkle rice with vinegar and lightly fold in.
- Add asparagus, crab, peas, cucumber, ginger, chives, nori and sesame seeds.