SWEET BEET CHOCOLATE CAKE
Deep, dark, moist, rich and delicious, this chocolate cake is amazing. The secret ingredient is beets that add an incredible moist texture and deepen the chocolate colour.
Makes 12 servings
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups pureed cooked beets
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil or extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp vanilla paste or extract
- 3/4 cup whipping cream
- 6 oz semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 oz white chocolate, melted
- Sift together flour, brown sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Mix well.
- In another bowl whisk eggs, beets, oil and vanilla.
- Combine liquid and dry ingredients just until mixed. Pour batter into a 10" springform pan lined with a round of parchment paper. Bake in a preheated 350F oven 25 to 30 minutes until centre springs back when lightly touched. Cool 10 minutes. Turn out. Cool completely.
- For glaze, heat cream and pour over chopped chocolate. Shake gently to distribute cream and let it rest 5 minutes. Stir until smooth. Cool until slightly thickened. Pour glaze over cake.¬†Cool one hour. Decorate with white chocolate.