SWEET POTATO LASAGNA
Lasagna is back in style and especially popular are vegetarian ones like this. It freezes well too so you can make two batches - freeze in individual packages for last minute meals.
Makes 8 to 10 servings
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp losher salt
- 12 lasagna noodles
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups milk
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt (or more to taste)
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- generous pinch nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp Tabasco sauce
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce (optional)
- 3 cups grated Fontina
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan (preferably Parmigiano Reggiano)
- Peel sweet potatoes, slice thinly, toss with olive oil and salt and place in a single layer on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Roast in a preheated 400F oven until lightly browned and tender - about 25 to 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile bring a large deep skillet of water to a boil. Add 1 tsp salt. Cook 3 noodles at a time for about 3 to 5 minutes until just tender. Rinse in cold water and arrange in a single on wet tea towels. Repeat, layering the noodles on wet tea towels. (You may not need all the noodles.)
- Prepare sauce by melting butter in a large saucepan and whisking in flour. Cook gently, without browning about 2 to 3 minutes. Whisk in milk and bring to a boil. Cook, stirring until mixture thickens. Season with salt, pepper, nutmeg, Tabasco and Worcestershire sauce to taste. Mixture should be well seasoned.
- To assemble, spoon about 1/2 cup sauce over the bottom of a¬†9" or 10" square¬†baking dish. Line with a single layer of noodles. Arrange a layer of roasted sweet potatoes over the noodles. Spread with 1 1/2 cups sauce. Sprinkle with half the Fontina. Repeat layers. Top with noodles, spread with remaining sauce. Sprinkle with parmesan.
- Bake in a preheated 350F oven for 25 to 30 minutes until bubbling and browned on top. Let lasagna rest 10 minutes before serving.