SWEET POTATO PANCAKES (LATKES) WITH CREAM CHEESE AND CHIVE MOUSSE
These were inspired by the yummy sweet potato pancakes I had in Tel Aviv at Orna and Ella's. They are also delicious at room temperature. Instead of the cheese try topping the pancakes with little mounds of leftover brisket â€“ amazing.
Makes about 40 pancakes
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes, cooked
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp losher salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- pinch freshly ground nutmeg
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter or vegetable oil (more if necessary)
- cream cheese topping:
- 6 oz cream cheese
- 3 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1/4 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped chives
- Mash sweet potatoes and measure out 3 cups.
- In a large mixing bowl beat eggs with buttermilk and soy sauce. Mix in sweet potatoes until smooth. In a small bowl combine flour with brown sugar, salt, pepper, baking soda and nutmeg. Stir into sweet potato mixture.
- For cheese mousse combine cream cheese with mayonnaise, pepper and chives.
- Heat half the butter or oil in a large non-stick pan. Drop batter using a tablespoon or place batter in a piping tube fitted with a plain nozzle and pipe rounds into the pan.Â Flatten with the back of a spoon. Cook a few minutes until brown and crisp, flip and cook the second side. Continue cooking in batches, adding more butter or oil between batches.
- Arrange pancakes in a single layer on a serving platter and pipe or spoon a dab of cream cheese on top.