This delicious ‚Äúsmear‚ÄĚ or spread is a specialty of one of Chicago‚Äôs favourite restaurants ‚ÄėThe Purple Pig‚Äô. People will line up at your house too.
Makes 16 toasts
1. Make veloute sauce. Melt butter in medium saucepan and whisk in flour. Cook, stirring, a few minutes until mixture just starts to colour. Whisk in hot liquid. Bring to a boil. Add milk and cook until thick. Add salt, pepper and nutmeg. Cook gently 5 minutes.
2. Sprinkle gelatine over cold water. Soften for a few minutes and then heat gently. Whisk into sauce. Cool about 10 minutes.
3. Place mortadella in food processor and chop on/off until finely chopped. Add sauce and process until smooth.
4. Whip cream and fold into mortadella mixture. Season to taste. Refrigerate a few hours.
5. Just before serving grill bread. Smear mortadella on each piece. Top with arugula, sprinkle with pistachios and drizzle with balsamic.