TURKEY BREAST WITH BARBECUE SAUCE
If you¬†don't like¬†buying processed meats, it is very easy to roast a turkey breast for your own "unprocessed" cold cuts. It is great for school lunches and even fussy eaters seem to love it. It is easier to slice thin for sandwiches when cold but also delicious for a hot meal with mashed potatoes and veggies.
Makes 12 to 16 slices
- 1 2lb (1kg) boneless, skinless turkey breast
- 1/2 cup (125mL) ketchup or favourite barbecue sauce
- 1 tbsp (15mL) brown sugar
- 1 tbsp (15mL) Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp (15mL) Worcestershire sauce
- Trim turkey breast of any fat
- In a small bowl combine ketchup, sugar, mustard and Worcestershire sauce. Rub into turkey breast. Marinate in the refrigerator one hour or up to overnight.
- Arrange turkey breast, skin side up, on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or foil. Tent with foil and roast at 350F/180C for 30 minutes. Remove foil and continue roasting until browned and cooked through (if the turkey is larger it will take longer) or until a meat thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the breast reaches 165F/75C and the juices run clear. Chill.
- Carve into thin slices.