VANILLA CINNAMON BAKED APPLES
Hereâ€™s a great dessert forfall or winter (and perfect for Rosh Hashanah) where old-fashioned comfort desserts are often the best.
Makes 8 servings
- 8 baking apples (like Spy or Golden Delicious), about 8 oz each
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped toasted walnuts or pecans
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3 tbsp butter - melted, optional
- 1 tbsp pure vanilla paste or 1 tsp vanilla extract
- cooking liquid:
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
- Remove core of the apples with an apple corer, small knife or melon baller, leaving about 1/2" at the base. Peel the top one third of each apple. Place apples in 9"x13" baking dish.
- In a small bowl combine brown sugar, walnuts with cinnamon, butter and vanilla. Put about 1 tbsp mixture into each apple center.
- Combine honey with apple juice and lemon juice in a small bowl and pour over and around apples. Cover with aluminum foil and bake in a preheated 350F oven for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake 20 to 25 minutes longer or until apples are very tender and browned.Â Baste a few times during baking and add some water or more apple juice if pan seems dry. Serve with juices spooned over and pomegranate seeds sprinkled on top.