WHEAT FREE CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
Alice Medrichâ€™s â€śChewy, Gooey, Crispy, Crunchyâ€ť includes all kinds of traditional, modern, decadent, healthful and wheat free cookies that are simply delicious. She encouraged me to try these wheat free chocolate chip cookies and I was hooked. Alice firmly believes in weighing ingredients for baking rather than measuring.
Makes about 40 cookies
- 1 cup plus 3 tbsp oat flour (4.375 oz)
- 1 cup brown rice flour (4.375 oz)
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp potato starch (2.25oz)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar (5.25 oz)
- 3/4 cup brown sugar (5.25 oz)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups chocolate chips or hand chopped chocolate (12 oz)
- 1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts or pecans (4 oz)
- Combine oat flour, rice flour, potato starch, salt, baking soda and xanthan gum in a bowl. Stir well.
- In another bowl combine melted butter with white and brown sugar and vanilla. Whisk in eggs. Stir in dry ingredients. Mix batter briskly 45 seconds to activate the xanthan gum - the more you mix the chewier the cookies will be. Stir in chocolate and nuts. Cover tightly and refrigerate batter at least a few hours or better still, overnight.
- Â Use 2 tbsp batter for each cookie and place on parchment paper lined baking sheets about 2" apart. Bake in a preheated 375F oven, in the lower and upper third for 12 to 14 minutes, rotating pans halfway through, until golden.