Roasted root vegetables make a great winter salad. If you donâ€™t have time to roast the vegetables, try thinly sliced raw root vegetables - very fashionable and delicious.
Makes 4 servings
1. Trim beets. (Saute greens with olive oil and garlic for a yummy omelette filling. See Turkish omelette below.) Wrap beets in a single layer in foil and roast at 400FÂ one hour or until tender when pierced with a knife. Rub off skins. Cut into chunks or slices.
2. Combine 2 tbsp olive oil with thyme, salt and pepper. Toss half with squash and other half with chicken. Arrange squash on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Roast at 400F 30 to 40 minutes until tender and browned.
3. Place chicken breasts on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet and bake at 400F for 20 minutes or until a meat thermometer registers 165F. Slice.
4. Whisk lemon juice with garlic, salt, mustard and honey. Whisk in oil.
5. Arrange squash, beets, chicken and chick peas over greens. Drizzle with dressing. Sprinkle with pomegranate seeds.